Joss & Main

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Painting and Sealing A Dining Room Table. Pt. 3 Refinishing A Dining Room Table Series



Hello all welcome to the final installment of the Refinishing a Dinning Room Table Series.

Today we'll be covering the painting and sealing process. The type is you use for a high use piece should be durable to be able to withstand a lot of action. Some great paints are Benjamin Moore's Advance(which is what I used) and Sherwin Williams ProClassic. These paints are latex based paints that perform to the standard of an oil based paint. If you really want durability use an oil based paint. Just know that the odor is strong and clean up isn't so easy.



Things you'll need:

Enamel Alkyd paint such as the ones listed above or an enamel based paint

Nylon or horse hair brushes( I recommend and use Purdy brushes)

Polycrylic(topcoat/sealer)

Tarp

Soap and water with a rag for clean up

Paint tray

Floetrol


Before you get started, pour your paint into the tray and mix your Floetrol in with the paint. This will help the paint last longer. It doesn't thin your paint out it just conditions it so that it dries slower and helps you leave less brush and roller marks. For one gallon of paint you will use 8 ounces of Floetrol or one cup. Since I only used a quart of paint I used 2 ounces. Or 4 tablespoons. When in doubt, Google :)

I'm sorry I don't have pictures of me painting. I only have pictures of the finished project. And of the things I used. So here we go!



Purdy 1", 1.5" and 2" Nylon brushes( I love them!!)




Floetrol for paint conditioning action




Minwax Water Based Polycrylic for protection. I'm paranoid so I may slap on an extra coat or two :)



The table. Isn't Melba gorgeous now??


The corner details. The lady who sold this to us was extremely nice and gave us four chair covers. They get the job done ;)


It's almost like looking up someone's skirt isn't it? Wink wink lol.




Upclose shot of the feet.



And the whole thing. This is our just didn't give a crap minimalist approach to Christmas decorating.


We only have enough covers for four chairs. So the ugly step sisters have to stay behind the table. Kind of like putting a bag over your head.


And our little nutcracker that Nana gave to us a few Christmas' back. I love this gift because it came from someone who loved and cared for us very much. And it's unfortunate that she is no longer with us. So every Christmas we place him in a visible space so that we can remember Nana around the holidays :)

If any of you have any questions about refinishing furniture, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. I'd love to hear about your projects and your thoughts on this project. 
Is anyone attempting a refurbishment on their own? Any other DIY painting projects in the future?

Don't forget to see the $40 Table Makeover, Part 1 and Part 2 of the Refinishing a Dining Room Table Series.












No comments:

Post a Comment